How to look after Dental Implants?
Although dental implants don’t decay like natural teeth can, they can collect plaque which contains bacteria that can destroy bone around the implants. Progressive bone loss can destabilize the implant which is an infection known as peri-implantitis.
Therefore it is just as important to take care of dental implants as it is natural teeth.
The long-term prognosis of your implant is greatly influenced by a thorough home care routine and regular recalls at the dentist.
How to look after Dental Implants for single tooth implant:
- Sonic Toothbrush (Colgate Omron or Philips Sonicare, most basic model is adequate): brush all surfaces of teeth and along the gum line, 2 times daily.
- WaterPik and/or Dental floss: must use daily to clean in between the teeth/implant(s)
The WaterPik employs a high pressure water jet that capable of clean gum margins and in between teeth/implants(s) really well. Waterpik is much more simple to use as in compare to dental flossing
For implant bridge and full arch implant support prostheses
- Sonic Toothbrush (Colgate Omron or Philips Sonicare): brush all surfaces of teeth and along the gum line, 2 times daily.
- WaterPik: use this water flosser after every meal if possible. This is the easiest way to clean under implant bridge.
- Piksters: Interdental brushes such as Piksters can be used to clean in between implants and under fixtures. They come in different sizes and is easy to use.
- Oral B Super Floss: can be effective in cleaning around the implant fixtures and under the bridge, is fiddlier to use in compare to Waterpik.
6 monthly Recall appointments:
We like to see our dental implant patients every or 6 months to check the gum health of their implant, and adjust the bite as needed.
Patients who have/had gum disease with their natural teeth and/or smoke cigarette are more susceptible to bone loss and peri-implantitis on their implants.
Peri-implantitis is often painless, and can progress quickly where implant could become loose and fall out. It is therefore really important that you look after your implant teeth well, and have your implant check, clean, bite adjusted every 6 months to make your investment last as long as possible.
Below are examples of the life changing results that we has achieved with some of our patients
If you are interested in Dental Implant treatments, then call us now on 4731 4655 or email us to get started on the procedure that will bring back that smile.
Dr Nathan Le also offer this treatment at Kempsey Dental Centre